Series: Burying Water #2
Author: K.A. Tucker
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication date: March 3rd 2015
Target Audience: New Adult
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, Suspense
Length: 384 pages
Find It: Goodreads
Buy It: Amazon|B&N|Book Depository
Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it-the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set—one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.
Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game—at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington D.C. major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the west coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.
As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.
“This is just the beginning. The beginning of a “true us” in his eyes. And the beginning of the end for Luke Boone.”
“I have to jump even though the landing is going to hurt. But I know the fall will be pure ecstasy.”
“I don’t care about any of it. All I want to do is lean forward and kiss him. Steal him away from the bad stuff, convince him to start over because I believe he isn’t beyond saving yet.”
- Tucker‘s writing style meshes perfectly with my tastes. The story is paced just right and once started I didn’t want to put it down.
- With a fairly complex plot and a bit of mystery – Becoming Rain is definitely not your typical New Adult read.
- The dual POV’s. Sometimes dual POV’s can be really annoying…but K.A. Tucker has perfected the art. I love being able to see into both Clara and especially Luke’s minds.
- Luke really grew on me as a character. I was so worried about him in Burying Water and continued to fear he wouldn’t “do the right thing” here in Becoming Rain. It took me a bit of time to really get to know and like him but luckily for me (and Clara) he stepped up.
- The chemistry between Clara and Luke was amazing! Phew! I could not help but keep rooting for them despite the situation that they were in.
- As much as it also frustrated me, I loved seeing how Clara dealt with the conflict between her feeling and her job and how she managed (at least almost) to satisfy both with minimal compromise.
Less than Purrfect Elements:
- The secondary characters were not as strong as in book 1. I missed Jesse’s family so much…
- As with any undercover operation where the lines start to blur…you start to question what would really happen and what is just beyond the realm of acceptable behavior. I suggest a suspension of disbelief on this aspect in order to fully enjoy this read.
Another win by K.A. Tucker🙂
I can not wait to read the 3rd book in the Burying Water series – Chasing River! Not only because K.A. Tucker is simply amazing…but because it sounds like it takes place in Ireland!!