I loved the first book in this series Pall in the Family and am thrilled to be participating in this tour for Be Careful What You Witch For. Check out my review and read to the bottom of the post for a great giveaway!
Title: Be Careful What You Witch For
Series: A Family Fortune Mystery #2
Author: Dawn Eastman
Age Range: Adult
Genre: Paranormal Cozy Mystery
Length: 304 pages
Publication Date: July 1st 2014
Publisher: Berkley | Penguin
Available Formats: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book
Add the book: Goodreads
Buy the book: Amazon | BN | The Book Depository
Leaving a traumatic police career behind, Clyde Fortune has returned to her seemingly quiet hometown of Crystal Haven, Michigan. In spite of the psychic powers of its residents, there’s no telling what trouble is brewing in this burg…
The highlight of this year’s fall festival in Crystal Haven is a bonfire with a witch’s cauldron resting over it. Clyde’s best friend, Diana, leads a ritual to divine the future, but it seems no one foresees that one of their own will drop dead—or that Diana will be a prime suspect.
Clyde already has her hands full with her eccentric family, runaway nephew, and burgeoning secret romance with a hunky homicide detective. But after another coven member is attacked, Clyde suspects there’s a witch hunt afoot and focuses her psychic and sleuthing skills to clear her friend’s name and catch a killer.
“The house itself was small, and completely covered in vines and other vegetation that I didn’t have the knowledge to identify….The back of my neck prickled and I realized this was the house I had seen in the bonfire on Halloween.”
- I love the small town setting of Crystal Haven…Eastman makes us feel as if we live there and know all the residents.
- Clyde and her entire family are such an amazing bunch. From Aunt Violet to Seth…this book would not be the same without the multiple generations all working together.
- Witches…need I say more. OK I’ll say a little more…I love the paranormal aspects of this series and the fact that all of the family members have such different talents.
- Even the pets lend a hand..love Baxter and Tuffy:)
- The friends and supporting cast (Diana, Thom, Alex, etc) all add so much to the story without taking anything away from the Fortune’s.
- A sweet slowly, maybe too slowly at times, re-developing love between Clyde and Mac gives us a taste of romance without overpowering the plotline.
The Not So Good:
- I wish that there were a bit more of the paranormal elements and I wish that they were a bit more closely connected to the resolution of the mystery. Sometimes it feels as if they are just thrown in there but aren’t really integral to the story.
Dawn Eastman has created a wonderful setting and a great cast of characters that I can’t wait to spend time with again. Looking forward to book 3 in the series.
Was It Worth My Time?
Dawn Eastman is the national bestselling author of Pall in the Family, the first book in the Family Fortune Mystery Series. She lived in Michigan for many years in a house full of animals, unusual people, and laughter. She now lives in Iowa with her husband, son, daughter, and one extremely bossy small dog.
1 Paperback Copy of Be Careful What You Witch For (US ONLY)