Title: Fly Away
Series: Firefly Lane #2
Authors: Kristin Hannah
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Contemporary|Women’s Fiction
Length: 432 Pages
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Paperback Publication Date: March 25th 2014 (first published April 13th 2013)
Available Formats: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book, Audio
Add the book: Goodreads
Buy the book: Amazon | BN | The Book Depository
Once, a long time ago, I walked down a night-darkened road called Firefly Lane, all alone, on the worst night of my life, and I found a kindred spirit. That was our beginning. More than thirty years ago. TullyandKate. You and me against the world. Best friends forever. But stories end, don’t they? You lose the people you love and you have to find a way to go on. . . .
Tully Hart has always been larger than life, a woman fueled by big dreams and driven by memories of a painful past. She thinks she can overcome anything until her best friend, Kate Ryan, dies. Tully tries to fulfill her deathbed promise to Kate–to be there for Kate’s children–but Tully knows nothing about family or motherhood or taking care of people.
Sixteen-year-old Marah Ryan is devastated by her mother’s death. Her father, Johnny, strives to hold the family together, but even with his best efforts, Marah becomes unreachable in her grief. Nothing and no one seems to matter to her . . . until she falls in love with a young man who makes her smile again and leads her into his dangerous, shadowy world.
Dorothy Hart–the woman who once called herself Cloud–is at the center of Tully’s tragic past. She repeatedly abandoned her daughter, Tully, as a child, but now she comes back, drawn to her daughter’s side at a time when Tully is most alone. At long last, Dorothy must face her darkest fear: Only by revealing the ugly secrets of her past can she hope to become the mother her daughter needs.
A single, tragic choice and a middle-of-the-night phone call will bring these women together and set them on a poignant, powerful journey of redemption. Each has lost her way, and they will need each one another–and maybe a miracle–to transform their lives.
An emotionally complex, heart-wrenching novel about love, motherhood, loss, and new beginnings, Fly Away reminds us that where there is life, there is hope, and where there is love, there is forgiveness.
That was the beginning. Our beginning. I told her my secret shame and she held out her hand and I clung to her. From that day on we were inseparable. Through high school and college, and forever after that, no experience was real until I told Katie about it, no day was quite right if we didn’t talk. By the time we were eighteen, we were TullyandKate, the pair, impossible to separate. I was there at her wedding and at the birth of her babies, and when she tried to write a book, and I was there in 2006 when she took her last breath.
- Flawlessly written, Kristin Hannah delivers another emotional roller coaster
- I loved Firefly Lane and the story of TullyandKate and was thrilled to see a follow up which further develops Tully’s story
- The character development (which I feel is Hannah’s best talent) shines yet again in Fly Away
- Hannah’s characters are sooo real – their stories may not be fun but they are 100% believable and relatable
- I was immediately drawn in to Tully’s back story and wanted to know more
- By the last quarter of this book I just could not put it down…I knew that something good was coming and it couldn’t get there fast enough for me:)
- Fly Away as with many of Kristin Hannah’s books really makes one think -Life and people’s actions are not so black and white as they may seem. One never knows what true motivations and reasons people have for what they do and say
- That cover!!! Need I say more!
The Not So Good:
- So full of angst and heartache, the first two thirds of this novel are gut wrenching, but if you can make it through…it is more than worth it.
Kristin Hannah knocks another one out of the park with this intensely emotional follow up to Firefly Lane. For those who love Hannah and don’t mind a lot of intense drama and pain to get to the HEA, this is a must read.
Was It Worth My Time?
1 Paperback Copy of Fly Away (US ONLY)