Title: Spell Booked
Series: Retired Witches Mystery #1
Authors: Joyce & Jim Lavene
Age Range: Adult
Genre: Paranormal Cozy Mystery | Witches
Length: 304 pages
Publication Date: December 2nd 2014
Available Formats: Paperback, E-book
Add the book: Goodreads
Buy the book: Amazon | BN |The Book Depository
The national bestselling authors of the Missing Pieces Mysteries summon up the first Retired Witches Mystery in a brand new supernatural series…
Once upon a time in Wilmington, North Carolina, three witches ran a curio shop named Smuggler’s Arcane. But as the years passed, their magical powers started to fade—leaving them no choice but to conjure up a retirement package…
Before they could blink their eyes or twitch their noses, Molly, Elsie, and Olivia somehow became eligible for AARP. But they can’t fly off to Boca Raton just yet. First they must give up their magic, recruit and train three new witches, and pass on their cherished spellbook.
They’ve barely begun to consider potential practitioners when Olivia winds up dead and their spellbook is stolen. To honor their friend and reclaim their spells, Molly and Elsie are about to go wand-to-wand with a dangerous young witch more powerful than the trio was in their prime. And this time they’re going to need more than magic up their sleeves…
In the center of the garden was a small stone altar Olivia, Elsie and I had used a few times for solstice celebrations. I put the amulet on the moonlight-bathed stone.
The blue stone took on a life of its own. The iridescent lights slowly emerged from it and moved in the moonlight as though they were alive.
Five reasons to pick up Spell Booked:
- The Premise: Witches – Need I say more? You all know that Witches are my absolute favorite and this book sure delivered. Add in a few feline familiars and this was sure to be a hit with me:) Although I wasn’t a fan of the idea of magic fading over time (I personally believe that it would only get stronger with experience and practice) , I did love how the Lavene’s worked that kink into the premise of needing to find new witches to take over the coven. Plus it made for some pretty funny moments to see how their magic faltered and some great moments to cheer when it didn’t. It also helped us focus on the importance of working together and building relationships which was what ultimately kept them all strong.
- The Main Characters – Mollie, Elsie, & Olivia are so quirky and lovable that I connected with them immediately even though the idea of retiring is far from where I am at in my life right now.
- The Setting – Small town, waterfront, a quaint business …all the makings of a perfect backdrop!
- The Secondary Characters -Especially Mollie’s husband. I was so thrilled when Mollie finally clued him in to the paranormal world that she’d been hiding from him for all those years.
- The Friendships – As I stated previously, this book was all about relationships and how they make us better. I loved how connected these three gals were:)
A fun read though I didn’t 100% connect with the main characters:)