Welcome to my stop on the Crushed Velvet tour! Diane and Poily are here to share how to make catnip balls! Keep reading to learn how, to find out a little about Diane’s new book and to enter the giveaway!
How to Make Crushed Velvet Catnip Balls*
Poly Monroe, of the Material Witness Mysteries, has become quite attached to her kitties, Pins and Needles. In Poly’s spare time between helping to prove that her friend Genevieve Girard did not kill her husband and getting ready to open Material Girl for business, she has been making these little catnip toys. If you have a furry feline friend, perhaps you’d like to make some too?
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
¼- ½ yard of Crushed Velvet
White Non-Toxic School Glue
Package of Styrofoam Balls 2 in. diameter
Package of small rubber ponytail holders/elastic bands
disposable work surface (cardboard, butcher paper, or newspaper all work fine)
1. Cut your velvet into squares about 7” x 7”. (Note that this is not an exact science, and if your squares are 6”x6” or 6”x7” or somewhere around there, you’ll be fine!)
2. Set up your tray. I used folded butcher paper and squeezed out some school glue on the bottom and then dumped a pile of catnip on the top.
3. Insert skewer into the side of a Styrofoam ball.
4. Roll the ball through the school glue
5. Roll the now sticky ball through the catnip. Note: you do not have to cover the ball. You just want to establish a ring of catnip around the ball. Think of the planet Saturn.
6. Set the ball (now ringed with catnip) on the edge of a piece of cut velvet. Roll the ball along the velvet until the fabric overlaps itself.
7. Pull both ends tight
8. Secure each end with a small rubber ponytail holder or elastic
9. Move onto the next crushed velvet catnip ball!
Approximate cost: $10
Approximate yield: 1-2 dozen balls
*This project is approved by Pins and Needles!
About Crushed VelvetTitle: Crushed Velvet
Series: Material Witness Mystery #2
Author: Diane Vallere
Publication date: August 4th 2015
Target Audience: Adult
Genres: Cozy Mystery
Length: 304 Pages
Find It: Goodreads
Buy It: Amazon|B&N|Book Depository
Fabric shop owner Polyester Monroe is back in business—this time getting wrapped up in a diabolical but crafty case of murder.
With opening day of Material Girl approaching, Poly is stocking up on lush fabrics, colorful notions, and best of all, a proprietary weave of velvet. But upon delivery, it’s not quite the blend she expected, being ninety-percent silk and ten-percent corpse. Crushed under a dozen bolts of fabric is Phil Girard. His wife, Genevieve, local tea shop owner and close friend of Poly, is the prime suspect.
Granted, Phil may not have been the perfect husband, but surely Genevieve had no reason to kill him! There’s just the small matter of Genevieve’s own incriminating confession: I’m afraid I killed my husband. Now, as Material Girl’s grand opening looms, Poly is torn between a friendship pulling apart at the seams—and finding a smooth killer with a velvet touch…
2 yards of custom fabric printed with the covers of SUEDE TO REST and CRUSHED VELVET.